[Ferguson-dna] Autosomal Roll Call

Sharon Clark clarksha at verizon.net
Sun Apr 16 14:46:36 CDT 2017

Hello,

I am Sharon Clark, and I am in charge of the DNA results for my distant cousin, Rick Ferguson, kit No. 53675.

Rick's gg-grandfather was Simeon W. Ferguson who was born July 1845 in Allen Co., KY.  Simeon was the son of Elizabeth Atwood and Rev. William G. Ferguson who left Allen Co., KY in the very early 1850s and moved to Crawford Co., MO.

Rev. William G. Ferguson was a Missionary Baptist minister in Allen Co., KY, and then in Crawford Co., MO. He was the son of Catherine Gilmore and William Ferguson, who were Rick's 4th gg-grandparents.  They were also my 4th gg-grandparents.

Catherine Gilmore and William Ferguson married 28 Oct 1793 in Albemarle Co., VA. I don't know who William's parents were, but he had a close relative in Albemarle Co., VA, Daniel Ferguson, who married Elizabeth Thomas 29 Oct 1799 in Albemarle Co., VA. Daniel Ferguson withessed and was the bondsman for two or three of Catherine Gilmore's sisters.  William and Daniel also had a personal property mortgage or bill of sale in the early 1800s in Albemarle Co., which was when William and his family moved to Sumner Co., TN. Daniel and his family moved to Nelson Co., VA.

A descendant of Daniel Ferguson and Elizabeth Thomas is Brett David Ferguson. He and Rick are close matches in the Ferguson Y-DNA project. They are in the Scots group, and I believe they are in Group II.

I am a descendant of Catherine Gilmore and William Ferguson's daughter, Frances Ferguson, who married Thomas Spilman in Allen Co., KY, and they moved to Hickory Co., MO in the early 1850s.  She died there in 1859. Thomas Spilman was there in 1860 but was back in Allen Co., KY in 1870. He either died there or perhaps came to Dallas Co., TX around 1873 when his son and my gg-grandfather, James Monroe Spillman moved there.

I haven't had Rick's autosomal DNA tested, but I am thinking about it.  Here are Gedmatch numbers for my family:

T184617    Jacqui Gray    my daughter
T595567    Sharon Clark    me
T717897    Grady R Moore    my paternal 1st cousin
T850609    Madi Hill    my granddaughter - Jacqui's daughter
A496977    Grayson Hill    my grandson
A350695    Jackson Hill    my grandson
T512468    Tommy Shaw    my son
T963401    Mina Bickerstaff    my sister
T051060    Kay Clark    my sister
T569380    William Perry Clark    my brother
A804904    Gayle Bickerstaff    my niece - Mina's daughter
T862434    Jerry Trotter    my dad's maternal 1st cousin

Jerry Trotter matches Brett David Ferguson's father and sister at FTDNA, and Jerry is a descendant of Catherine Gilmore and William Ferguson.

Also, my niece, Gayle Bickerstaff, is a descendant of Ann Stubbleson and John Ferguson of Essex Co., VA through her father.  His last Ferguson ancestor was Ann Ferguson, born about 1730 in Amelia Co., VA, and died about 1800 in NC. She married Robert (or Roger) Thompson 12 May 1750 in Amelia Co., VA.  Ann Verguson was the daughter of Elizabeth Ward and John Ferguson. John Ferguson was born ca 1721 in Essex Co., VA and died about 1778 in Amelia Co. His will was probated 4 Nov 1778 in Raleigh Parish, Amelia Co., VA. He was the son of Anne Markham and James Samuel Ferguson, Sr., who was the son of Ann Stubbleson and John Ferguson of Essex Co., VA.  I got this information from one of Gayle's Ancestry DNA matches.

If any of you recognize any of these folks or have any information about them, please contact me.

Thank you, and best wishes,
Sharon Clark
Fort Worth, TX